torstai 9. elokuuta 2012

The Alpine bullhead, number 40

Species number 40 from the Finnish waters (This year) was caught at July 21st on our way to Norway (stories from Norwegian waters coming later).

We stopped to River Muonionjoki when we spotted a nice looking rocky shoreline where we though might be a good place for Bullheads. Jarno caught couple of Minnows almost immediately he got his hook to the water. Soon he dropped his first bullhead and some ten minutes later I heard a loud YES from his direction. He had caught his first ever Alpine bullhead and mission was accomplished.

A Scenery from River Muonionjoki. As you can clearly see, we fished at the middle of the night. The picture has been taken at 4.15 AM.

Except I haven't seen even one fish yet. I tried a while more before I decided to move about hundret meters downstream to another spot. There was a really nice looking small and rocky branch current. From there it didn't took too long to catch a fish. It was a bullhead and a quick turn of the fish exposed its stripy pelvic fins. Alpine bullhead (Cottus poecilopus) was my 51st species ever caught from Finland and 113th species overall (yes, you read right, 113th. I have miscalculated in some point. Before this I thought I had already caught 113 species).
The Alpine bullhead with it's stripy pelvic fins.

Anyway, it was really nice to move on towards Norway with a another new species on the pocket....

2 kommenttia:

  1. nice catch. And I dont´n mean how pretty the fish looks but one more for your species this year. My trip to Northern Finland was not succesfull with this Bullhead. Maybe some day, some year, somewhere. I´ve been a little lazy for fishing lately. Maybe later this year, maybe next year, who knows ? I don´t.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Thanks Weksu. And don't worry (I know you won't), you will catch your bullhead later.

    VastaaPoista