maanantai 2. tammikuuta 2012

New year, new targets

This year I will try how many species I can catch from the Finnish waters on a one year period. At 2010 I tried that too and my result was 35 species. But then there was many “easy” species missing from the list.

This year I’m targeting to 40, maybe 45 species if everything goes really, really well. There’s bunch of species that I haven’t caught yet from Finland. I think that 3 to 5 new species this year is more than possible to catch.

Here’s some of my targets (new species): The Alpine Bullhead (Cottus poecilopus). On the way to Norway, it should be quite easy to catch from Lapland.
The Ziege or Sabre Carp (Pelecus cultratus). It’s not easy but there should be good chances at the Canal of Saimaa.
The Brook Stickleback (Culaea inconstans). This should be quite sure to catch. The only population of the species in Finland is situated about 30 kilometers from my parents-in-law, so I'll give as many shots as necessary to catch one.
The Garfish (Belone belone). This is the species I’m gonna hunt for real. I have heard that in the Archipelago of Turku this species is nowadays actually quite common. Fishermen who are targeting seatrout do catch also garfish every now and then.

Besides of these four species, here’s couple of species that are possible to catch too; Butterfish (Pholis gunnellus), Spotted goby (Gobiusculus flavescens), The fifteen-spined stickleback (Spinachia spinachia), The European Sprat (Sprattus sprattus) and of course the mighty Atlantic Salmon.
My first attack of the year will be very soon, hopefully I can catch something………

I wish tight lines and screaming reels for all of you readers (I really hope that there’s more of you, not only Vesa) for the year 2012!

2 kommenttia:

  1. I sincerely hope you have enough time to use to reach your target. Skills you have, I know it.
    Wesa

    VastaaPoista
  2. I will make time. Start was really good, now I have at least one more day to spend with other species.

    VastaaPoista